Sunday, February 24, 2013

Losing My Religion

I'm Catholic. I think most of you know that, but my faith is pretty much shaken these days, not because of anything the Pope has done or anything a priest has done, more what priests and other people in our parish haven't done.

My mom and dad have been shut ins now for years, mom longer than dad.

Does the priest call or check on her or my father?

No!

Does anyone else in our parish?

NO!

They are only busy with people that can bring the parish more money.

Gotta get out of debt you know.

Well I'm sorry, until I'm out of debt, I'm not helping the church with extra funds, especially when they don't do anything or even try to do anything to make our family feel like they are part of the church community, and my mother was a CCD instructor for years and a lector and eucharistic minister. If there was a bake sale, she was in charge of it.

There was a time when I felt the church helped the less fortunate..

Oh wait, there's a food donation box in the back of our church.

So there's that.

But if you are a shut in, they don't care about you unless you are in the hospital or a nursing home, then they may come and minister to you.

Otherwise, screw you and give them more money.

I may sound bitter, but that's because I am.

My parents did a lot of work for the church, and I feel our parish has let them both down.

Now there was one time when I hadn't been to mass in several weeks, that our parish priest called to check on me.

It has been months...and no one has checked to make sure any of us were alive.

I don't go to mass because Sunday mornings are hectic and my dad is often disoriented in the morning, plus I don't like to be places where I have to keep my cell phone off and our Saturday night mass is too early.

I still have a belief in god, but my church has let me down.

3 comments:

Mike said...

The times they are a changing.

Anonymous said...

Please contact your parish. Check and see if there is a women's organization or someone on the Eucharistic Committee who does visits. Our parish does. You could also check with Catholic Charities, if needed. Again, it isn't the Church, but the people. They are failing your folks, and need to know.

Bilbo said...

I, too, am Catholic, but haven't been practicing for many years, largely for some of the same reasons you cite. It's sad, but perhaps it's the times we live in. Good luck.