Monday, February 18, 2013

Downton Frustrations

Whovians bitch about Steven Moffat killing off characters (and things) in Doctor Who, but in a few short episodes (Ok not short episodes) Julian Fellowes kills off two main characters.

Yowzas!

I have to admit in the first case it was some excellent writing, because I knew what was going to happen, and I still ended up crying my eyes out.

Now when it came to the Christmas Special that was another story. The ending hurt, but it didn't do anything for me.

I felt numb.

I realize this character was written off because the actor wanted out of the show to do other things, but crikey they really come up with cruel things in this show.

The other thing that bugs me, is that time moves rapidly in Downton. At the end of the regular season they were just starting to convince Robert that Downton needed to make changes in order to survive, fast forward to the special and Downton is doing well?

WTF.

I love this show, but it drives me nuts.

3 comments:

Mike said...

Actually happened. I got a call from PBS last night wanting pledge money.

Bilbo said...

I've only ever watched part of one episode of Downton Abbey. I thought the acting was good and the sets superb, but I had no clue what was really going on. I guess DA is like "Lost" ... you can't enter it in the middle and expect it to make sense.

eViL pOp TaRt said...

Downton Abbey is definitely not one to watch an occasional episode -- it's sort of a commitment.