Sunday, March 04, 2012

Top 5 Sundays


Best Books Turned into Movies!
From Larissa's Bookish Life

1. Pat Conroy - The Prince Of Tides



The movie starring Nick Nolte and Barbra Streisand was pretty awesome. There were some things that were left out, but the book is rather long (704 pages) so somethings had to not make it. I read this in junior high. It is an incredible read and I saw the movie the first week it was released.

2. Harry Potter & The Sorcerer's Stone



You gotta love Harry! I actually think this series was one of the best, when it comes to the transition from paper to the big screen. Oh and Daniel Radcliffe, he's such a cutie...and now he's a hottie..and I feel like a dirty old lady!

3. Coraline


I know this is wrong to say, but I think I liked the movie better than the book.  This film couldn't have been any less than spectacular though. The story was fab, and Henry Selick is awesome with the dark and brooding story thing.


4. Chocolat



Chocolat is one of my favorite Johnny Depp films. The book is just as stunning as the movie and another one that is pretty well done. I love when the book and script stay true to form.

5. Call Me Mrs. Miracle




OK, so this isn't a big screen movie, but it was still cute. It took a few more liberties with the book then I'd like, but I still loved the movie and Doris Roberts as Mrs. Merkle (Miracle) is just wonderful.

5 comments:

Nikki - Notes of Life said...

I love the Chocolate movie! :)

I've read the mrs Miracle story, but not seen the film. Is Doris Roberts the mother from hell in Everybody Loves Raymond?

ShannonW said...

My all time favorite was The Green Mile. The movie was as close to the book as I have seen any movie get.

Aleksandra said...

Great picks! I still haven't gotten around to reading Chocolat, although I love the movie so much.

And about Coraline - it's not wrong, both the movie & the book are great & you prefer the movie ;)
But, I have to say that you are wrong about something - although it looks a lot like Tim Burton movie, it's not actually his movie, he actually didn't participate in it at all, but it's from the director of 2 of his animated movies: James & the Giant Peach and The Nightmare Before Christmas - Henry Selick. When I first saw the trailer, I thought it's Burton's movie, but I remember that I was checking for something about it & realised that it's not his, that's why I know ;)

The Mistress of the Dark said...

Aleksandra, you're right and I knew it too...except I had Burton on my brain this morning. But it is true...Coraline looks like a Burton film.

Natasha said...

I looooved Coraline. I forgot that one!!

Here's mine:
http://www.bookmarkyourthoughts.com/2012/03/top-5-sunday-march-4th.html