Friday, November 23, 2012

Black Friday Is Just Wrong

I think I was raised right. We never did any shopping on Black Friday, except maybe if we needed groceries.

Every time I see people out on Black Friday, I can't help but think about how greedy we've all become. Sure the toy shoppers are out there getting gifts for their kids. I'm still pretty sure that it is status stuff too, that makes mom and dad look good and not trying to get something because your child really really wants it.

When I was little it was Cabbage Patch Dolls.

Guess what?

I never got one for Christmas, and I'm still here.

I did eventually get one..but it was long past the insanity of it all.

When it comes to electronics on Black Friday that is all about greed. Lining up to get iPods, TVs, Computers.

Really?

I guess we were poor, because in my family,  you didn't buy people TVs for Christmas.

In fact in all my Christmases. The one thing I got that brought me the most joy was this doll: Baby Soft Sounds. I wish I still had her, I loved her so much.

I like Christmas to be simple...family, good food, great music, and pretty decorations...the stuff will always be there.

2 comments:

rashbre said...

Strangely enough, I'm noticing 'Black Friday' adverts in the UK now.

Considering we don't have 'Thanksgiving', nor a holiday at this time, so it seems a particularly odd thing to be happening.



Mike said...

Yesterday started my count down to the end of the holiday season.