Saturday, April 13, 2013

A Whovian Rant

Doctor Who is one of my favorite shows. I watch it pretty faithfully. It brings me great joy. However I have to say, the fans don't.

Why do all the shows/bands etc that I love have fans that are really lame?

The show has had 11 actors playing the lead part over the last 50 years. (for those of you that don't know).

It was off the air for quite a bit of time before coming back in 2005 or 6, I can't remember exactly, so you have two eras of the show, the Classic era which is Doctor's 1-7, and the reboot era 8-11. I'm including 8 because he was just in a film version made in 96.

The thing is the fans now really know Doctors 9-11 better than the originals for the most part..and the younguns really like 10, played by David Tennant

David Tennant w/Catherine Tate in The Unicorn & The Wasp

It is easy to see how you could go all fangirly over him. He sure do have a purdy face. But it isn't his Doctor I'm calling into question. I loved him in that role, just as I love Matt Smith and all the others, it is the Doctor/Rose relationship.

Rose Tyler was the first companion in the new series, played by Billie Piper.


I kind of liked things better when the Doctor wasn't emotionally attached to his companions, you know in the not so leg humpy way that Rose was. I kinda found Rose Tyler's character to be a bit of a skank, but the whole world seems to love her, so what do I know.

So basically the Whovian Universe is full of people that ship 10/Rose and those that hate on all the other Doctors except 4, played by Tom Baker.

GAH!

I thought that loving a show meant just that...loving a show.

I pretty much like all the Doctors. Not fond of all the companions..but the Doctors I like and the beauty of the show is that it can change itself every so many years. Stop complaining!

Oh and for the record, best companions, Sarah Jane Smith, Donna Noble and THE PONDS!


5 comments:

Mike said...

#3 (Jon Pertwee) is the one I remember the most.

Michelle Stockard Miller said...

My dad used to watch the old Doctor Who shows. They would play them on the PBS station in my hometown in Michigan. So I used to watch it too sometimes and I have to say that I liked it even back then. I'm not sure who the Doctor was when I was watching, but I believe it may have been Tom Baker. Anyway, I've liked all the doctors and I didn't really mind Rose although she's not my favorite. So far, Donna has been my favorite. I'm kind of liking the new one, Clara, so far. We shall see.

Hugs from one loyal Doctor Who fan to another! =O)

rashbre said...

They just had a retrospective about Doctor Who on Radio 4 - probably also on BBC World Radio, where they got some of the cast from Series 1 and the original producer to reminisce.

Aside from the Pilot, they originally only expected to make 4 episodes. I gather many of the old tapes have gone missing, so the history may have a few gaps.

Nikki - Notes of Life said...

I have to admit that Dr Who scared me as a child and I didn't like it. I enjoyed Christopher Ecclestone as the Doctor and I addored David Tennant. I've only seena few episodes with Matt Smith though. I have to say Donna was probably my favourite companion too.

Gutted the BBC seems to have stuffed Torchwood though.

moodymistress said...

DONNA NOBLE! No argument there. :) And I totally get what you mean about most people (or most new fans) being more into 9-11. Although lately I've seen more people favoring 11 over 10.