Wednesday, July 09, 2008

The Absurdity Of It All

Bilbo was talking about lottery tickets the other day on his blog and it got me thinking. One of the payouts on a PA Lottery Ticket is $500 a week for life. 99.3 The Pickle is giving them away in two contests, so I hear about this ticket more often than any human should have to. I really should listen to another station, but I'm a glutton for punishment.

I'm sure everyone would like an extra $500, I know I sure would, but it wouldn't make me quit my day job. That $500 is taxed, and even before that it only comes out to about $26,000.

Mind you, my salary is less than that, but I still wouldn't quit my job. I'd just be able to live normally if I won.

What gets me is that the station talks it up like its a huge sum of money. It is, but its not so huge that it would allow me to call off work for the rest of my life or most anyone else for that matter.

Absurd isn't it? I think so. Now if it were $1000 a week for life I might consider quitting my day job, because the cost of living in my hometown is still so low that $50,000 a year is great, but since my chances of winning anything like that are something akin to a snowball in hell, I guess I'll just get ready for work.

0 comments: