Thursday, May 07, 2020

The Frugal Vegetarian

Covid-19 sucks ass for many reasons, one of which is soaring meat prices.

OK,  I admit, I am a carnivore.

However, I am CHEAP!

Budgeting right now is insane and I'm looking for ways to shop smart and have decent meals that taste good, but don't break my budget.

I'm feeding three adults (and I'm not sure why..but just blame mom, its all her fault..bless her sainted heart) and we all have big appetites.

So far on my meat free menus

Lentil Veggie Soup
Lentil Chili (My chili tastes better than the meat version I used to make)
Kraft Zesty Spaghetti (You know that box stuff with the seasoning packet? OMG I make the best sauce with that. 1 can of tomato paste and 1 to 2 jars of diced tomatoes and you get some really good sauce in a jiffy)
Black Bean Burgers (which I haven't made in AGES but are so good!)
Sweet Potato and Black Bean Chili
Pasta Bake (Can be done with or without meat, cos my meat is usually pepperoni but its just as good without_

However let me say, getting canned beans is a pain in the bippy!

My must try recipe for this week is Smoky White Bean and Potato Stew

My next step in trying to be less crazy is getting a subscription with Imperfect Foods. My friend Tina, suggested it and I'm going to give it a go, cos frankly I hate the grocery store, and until I can be one with the farmers market, well I'm doing what I have to do. I'm on a waitlist there, but here's hoping I can get some groceries delivered in the coming months.

Hey who knows, maybe I'll even get a little healthier in the long run.

0 comments: