Thursday, October 03, 2019

A Cemetery Tale

No Oct is complete without a cemetery story, right?

Well I have one and its not really a spooky one, but a strange one.

I was taking photos down at the Monongahela Aquatorium a few weeks ago, and a guy was telling me about the witch's tomb that's located there.

Poor Josephine Colvin, is the witch in question. If you look up her obituary, there's no way she's a witch, but her family does have a huge and unusual monument.

I was also at the cemetery for another reason. A friend of mine passed away in 2016. I didn't know about it for until last year, as she had severed ties with me for political reasons years before. I always thought of her and I was heartbroken to learn she had passed. We may not have always seen eye to eye, but she was a good friend and we had some great times together.

So as I was traipsing about the old section, a little blue car comes flying up the hill from the lower end of the cemetery.

OK, didn't think much of it, though the cemetery isn't a race course, as my father would say. I finished taking my pictures and went to look up the location of Mary's final resting place. I started to drive looking for Sec 26. I found it and pulled over and began to hunt down her grave.

I make a bend and there's the blue car and another SUV pulled together and two people around 55-60 I'd say, sucking face on the hillside.

I think I gave them a scare as I came swishing about through the leaves.

I can't imagine anyone finding the cemetery a romantic place to go for some stolen kisses, though from their age, I'd say they were meeting there to hide from their spouses. It wasn't very long after I walked by that they got in their cars and headed off.

Weirdness

I did find my friend's grave though, and I had a good cry over her.


1 comments:

Diane said...

Cool! I love cemeteries as well. What an odd headstone!