Friday, July 05, 2019

Family Feud

I don't mean the game show either.

These days my youngest nephew and I are not speaking, and saying that is an understatement.

It all started a few weeks ago.

At some point, I've not said hello in passing to said nephew's future mother in law.

In my life, I have met this woman a grand total of 3 maybe 4 times and 1 time I didn't say hello. I received a snarky text message saying that since she is going to be family soon, I should talk to her.

I was either coming or going from break!

For the love of God!

Enter the bridal shower, which I've really not wanted to go to. I hardly ever speak to the bride to be. In fact, haven't had much communication since Easter with her. I've always felt showers were more for the bride's family and friends..and I would be totally uncomfortable and out of place there.

Also it would require me losing a shift at work, which is usually a full 8 hrs. Now this isn't a greedy thing. This is a I need this to get food on the table and my credit card paid off.  Not to mention I've had to do repairs on my roof as well as getting my porch fixed. These things cost money. I am also feeding more than just me.

He doesn't understand this at all. Neither does said bride to be.

I had a screaming match about this a few weeks ago...where I word jumbled...I wouldn't be going to either wedding or shower if my mother were alive..so he could pretend she was still here..

All things came to a head when he conveniently forgot my birthday this week.

For me that was it.

I wasn't asking for a present. I was asking for an acknowledgement, as I know our relationship is strained at best now.

By July 3rd, I was fuming mad.

Which ended up with a text saying that I don't support his girlfriend. (Hey..I don't have to..she's your girlfriend not mine) And that I bashed him...UH...no I did not. Anything I posted on Facebook had no names mentioned...It was only guilt that made him angry. Kinda a Your So Vain...You Probably Think This Post Is About You Carly Simon sort of thing.

Which also ended up with a fight between him and his mom, which made me feel very guilty.

I'm done.

I love my nephew, but right now I don't like him very much at all and I'm pretty sure there is no way to fix things at this point.

3 comments:

Mike said...

Your nephew sounds like he needs to be fixed.

Diane said...

Very self-centered of him. Does he not realize what you've been through, how much of yourself you have given to others and that you're working 2 jobs? For crying out loud. Why I like animals better than most people..... Sheesh....

JudyT said...

really does sound like Special Snowflake time, doesn't it. I'd let it go, he's not your kid, for the lord's sake, and if he's that easily damaged, he's got a long unhappy life ahead, picking up grievances and bruises.

It happens, and it's a shame when it does. But I agree, it can be very difficult to remember faces as third party people (my brother's mother in law's uncle kinda thing) and the older you gets, the harder it gets.