Monday, April 16, 2018

New Required Reading

I have been a fan of historical fiction since I was in junior high. Jean Plaidy's novels about the aristocracy of Europe as well as the Kings and Queens always topped my list of must read books.

I think in the age where history is being so distorted, more historical novels should be read in schools. Novels that make the reader want to learn the history of the countries in this world.

I say this because I am reading My Dear Hamilton right now.  I've not had the chance to see the musical and likely I never will, because those tickets will be a hot commodity for years, even as the show starts to tour.

My Dear Hamilton focuses on his life, but is told through the eyes of his wife. The book is written by Stephanie Dray and Laura Kamoie who also wrote America's First Daughter, a novel about Patsy Jefferson.

I've found that books like this have given me a new appreciation for history, and it also shows us that the crazy political world that we live in, hasn't changed. It has been this way from the very start of our nation.

My Dear Hamilton focuses a lot on the politics of the time. It also paints a picture of the founding fathers in a way that you don't really learn in school. You learn the presidents and what not, but reading this book, you got the clue that these men that shaped our nation were often at war between themselves and that getting our constitution ratified wasn't as easy as history books make it out to be.

I think these are the kind of books that inspire people to think and learn more. I also think that some of them are more important reads than those by the authors of the classics, which can definitely come across as dry and boring to many readers.

I dream of a world where books become truly important again.

0 comments: