Friday, April 08, 2016

Pennywise Goulash

I'm trying to revive the blog and I found a page with writing prompts, one of them is "A food that reminds you of your youth."

Pennywise Goulash was something my mom made all the time. It was made with stew meat, tomatoes, ketchup, onions, mushrooms and bow tie pasta. I think it was something my grandmother made before

I've made it many times since I started cooking but something wasn't the same.

It was the bow tie noodles. They aren't the same. When my mom made this dish when I was a little girl those bow ties were huge and round. Now they aren't even really called bow ties, they are called farfalle and they are getting smaller and smaller.

The dish is still fabulous and one of my favorites, but I still love it.

Here's the recipe for anyone interested

Pennywise Goulash

3/4 lb lean beef
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1 med onion sliced
1 small can mushrooms
1/4 cup ketchup
1 1/2 cup canned tomatoes
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1 package farfalle noodles


Cut meat in very small pieces (or use stew meat that's already cut)
Melt butter in skillet and brown meat slowly for 10 minutes
Add onion and brown 5 minutes longer.
Add remaining ingredients and simmer gently for 45 minutes
Serve over cooked noodles.

We prefer to mix the sauce and meat mixture with the noodles. My mom made her's with fresh tomatoes from the garden so this was usually a summer dis for our family.

1 comments:

rashbre said...

You should also try 'Shepherd's Pie'...Not sure if you really have this in USA. There's plenty of recipes around and a similar cooking method except instead of farfalle there's mashed potatoes on the top. Ideally nice and crispy...


Sorry to hear you are having a tough time again at the moment.

Best wishes