Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Christmas Hits?

I love Christmas music. Everyone knows that. If the past 24 months hadn't been so awful, I would have had 2 more mix CDs done, or playlists or something.

This morning on GMA they were discussing why there weren't any big holiday hit songs, and there haven't been since Mariah Carey's "All I Want For Christmas Is You." That was in 1996,

Holiday songs are a tricky thing.

The problem is there are some beautiful and fun ones out there, they just aren't by artists that are really well known, or they aren't big enough ear worms. That's really the key. To be a holiday hit, the song has to be a huge ear worm. It doesn't matter if it is religious or full of sentimental references. (That was what was referenced in the segment) The important thing is that you want to sing it, ALL THE TIME!

That's why songs like "All I Want For Christmas Is You", "Wonderful Christmastime" and of course, "Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer" are huge during the holiday season. You hear them once, and you keep hearing them over and over again.

So why hasn't Katy Perry scored a huge holiday hit? I'm not sure, but I'm kind of glad it hasn't happened, because I still have "Roar" stuck in my head and really, that's painful enough.

If you don't love The Moody Blues' "Don't Need A Reindeer", there is something wrong with you! But that song wouldn't make the hit list, because the guys are older, and lets face it, you don't get much airplay after 40. Can anyone say age discrimination?

Oh and please tell people to stop remaking "Do They Know It's Christmas" and "Happy Xmas (War Is Over)." The remakes, even ones done by people that I love make my ears bleed.

Truth be told, we just want to hear our favorite holiday tunes this time of year. Well, except for White Christmas. I am so sick of that song, and everyone's desire to see snow on the holiday.

But I'm going to tell you the real reason why there hasn't been a huge holiday hit in nearly 20 years. It is because music is so disposable and even the big artists aren't quite as..erm..talented and out there as they were 20 years ago or more.

But for those looking for a good song for the winter months and Christmas here's Owl City's "Peppermint Winter"




1 comments:

Bilbo said...

I love all sorts of Christmas music, both traditional and not (including my two-disc Dr Demento Christmas collection). I think I sent you a copy of Marty Robbins' "One of You in Every Size," which is one of my favorites. There's also a great song titled "Christmas Eve in Washington" by Maura Sullivan that is very beautiful, even though it mentions a city for which I have no particular love any more. My family also has a long tradition of listening to Dylan Thomas reciting his long prose poem "A Child's Christmas in Wales," which has some wonderful imagery. Whatever ... Merry Christmas, Andrea!