Friday, September 12, 2014

Caregiving

Care giving is not for the faint at heart.

It isn't for those without patience. You need it in large quantities. I'm sad to say that I don't often have enough when it comes to my father and I love him dearly.

I think it takes more to take care of a loved one in your home than it does to consign them to a nursing home or other care facility.

You have to be on call, 24/7 for anything.

Today was a poopy day.

No joke.

I realize its TMI but sometimes I wish he didn't go quite as often. (As in after every meal or as soon as I walk in the door from work)

You live on the edge, and relaxing just doesn't happen, EVER.

You feel guilty for wanting little things for yourself, like a trip to the bookstore or a relaxing meal.

I know I've said these things countless times before, but it is hard work, and it takes its toll. Plus help, even through hospice isn't enough, and other help, isn't worth it, especially when your loved one doesn't like strangers in the house.

My dad is not too keen on the aids or nurses that come in during the week at all.

At least tomorrow I will get a little bit of joy, as Doctor Who is on.

Yay!

0 comments: