Wednesday, October 05, 2011

Caregiving Is Hard Work

I don't think I ever really gave much thought to how hard things would be twenty years ago when I was about to start college. I knew then that I was likely going to be the one family member taking care of my parents.

Flashforward to today.

Mom is almost totally blind from diabetes. Dad is on oxygen 24/7 and is anemic, and not just mildly so, he's the kind of anemic that require transfusions every few months.

I do all the shopping, most of the cooking, I take them to the doctors, make sure they have their pills, and have them organized, oh and I clean the potty chairs too.

And that's just the stuff that relates to them.

I still have my work and my furrbabies to care for...and myself.

There are times when I really feel like I'm burning the candle at both ends.  I get cranky and I don't want to. I love mom and dad. I truly don't mind what I'm doing. But I really wish I could do more. That I could be there more.

2 comments:

Jean-Luc Picard said...

My Journal was restored today. The Blogger robots had decided two weeks ago that it was a spam blog and deleted it. I had to go through an appeal to get it reinstated. They did so today, apologising for any inconvenience caused!

Nikki - Notes of Life said...

I don't know how much more you can do. I think a break every now and then (no matter how small or what you do) would be beneficial.