Thursday, February 25, 2010

My Life Is Boring

I never claimed to have a super exciting life, but the last 3 months have really made me feel like a bore. I haven't gone much of anywhere, and haven't done much of anything. It feels like my life has been nothing but reading, watching tv and shoveling snow.

PAH!

Oh and going on quests for new books.

Which brings me to my daily whine: In my part of the Mon Valley aka, Charleroi On Mon, there are no used book stores, other than Goodwill, which is either feast or famine for me and our libraries have had funding cut so much that you can't find anything much there that's new or newer.

BAH!

I guess its a business that's hard to stay afloat with unless you are a huge chain like Half Price Books, which sells more than just used books.

Its a shame that unless you are in a city or a real suburb (and the 'roi is more like a burb of a burb) you're very limited in where you can buy books close by. That pretty much equals grocery stores or discount chains like Wally World and KMart.

I guess Goodwill will have to suffice. 99 cent books are a good thing.

2 comments:

Mal Kiely [Lancelots Pram] said...

We're *really* fortunate here to have TWO *really* good 2nd-hand bookstore in town. I've picked-up some pretty-rare stuff from there over time.

For about 15 years, I was searching for the entire collection of my favourite Aussie author, George Johnston. I managed to pick-up copies of his way-out-of-print books online, thru http://www.abebooks.com/

Needless, to say, I have the complete collection sitting here now! [beams slightly proudly! heh heh].

Janelle said...

I'm really hoping Uniontown gets another book store, since our Borders closed.

Luckily, going to school in Greensburg means easy access to Barnes & Noble, plus the Borders that's still at the mall here. And Connellsville still has the used store The Book Case, which is the only used store I know of other than Half Priced Books.