Saturday, April 03, 2004

But It's Not A Penumbra Moon

No the moon we see in the sky is a waxing gibbous moon. I saw that when I clicked a weather link from Sabbie's blog today. So it prompted me immediately to ask. What the heck is a waxing gibbous moon? Thank god you could right click on those words and get taken straight to the answer.

For any of you that care a waxing gibbous moon is when the Moon appears to be more than one-half but not fully illuminated by direct sunlight. The fraction of the Moon's disk that is illuminated is increasing.

Sadly though, I have the song Penumbra Moon stuck in my head. And I also have the curiousity to learn what a Penumbra Moon is. So I had to do a search, and guess what I found! Yup! Song lyrics!

Thanks Justin but unless you are going to sing me to sleep with the Penumbra Moon song, then you really aren't what I'm looking for right now.

This was the only site I could find that made any sense to me on the nature of the Penumbra Moon.

So in honor of all this talk about the Moon. I bring you the loving song by Billy Nicholls, which was recorded by the handsome songbird, Justin Hayward for his Night Flight album.



Penumbra Moon


Standing in the moonlight
I saw you standing in the moonlight
With your hair a shining blue
I shivered in the midnight air.
He was in the shadows
He was hiding in the shadows
Why he looked so dark and cold
And lonely, only heaven knows.

Oh! Penumbra! Just like that moon
Some of it black, some of it bright, some of it blue
Oh! Penumbra! I'm just like you
Feeling so shy
Hiding behind somebody too.
Oh I'm just like you

If I could have one wish
Oh I'd take you on a starship
But I wouldn't know what to do with
All the love I have for you.

Nothing much between us
No there's nothing much between us
Even Mercury and Venus
Couldn't take me far from you

Oh! Penumbra! Just like that moon
Some of it black, some of it bright, some of it blue
Oh! Penumbra! I'm just like you
Feeling so shy
Hiding behind somebody too.
Oh I'm just like you