Saturday, March 13, 2004

It's Time To Slant

This is fast becoming one of my favorite memes, so I'll do this one again. It's never up before I leave the house though, so it's a late update all the time. Late but fun. So here's this week's Saturday Slant.

Catching A Leprechaun
Legend has it if you catch a leprechaun he is honor bound to grant you a single wish, even as far as to give up his pot of gold. A single wish. The Jin of Aladdin's tales grant three--room enough to correct mistakes. With a single wish, however, there is no going back. You hold in your grip a spry little man with beard and curls of amber. Annoyed at being caught he glares up at you demanding: "Aye. What shall ye be wishing then, hey?" A single wish. Think carefully before you answer.


One wish. A single wish. That would probably be the hardest thing to do right now, because in my life there are so many things that one wish couldn't cover. Would that pot of gold take away all the other things wrong in my life? Would having a job that I loved and paid well enough to make sure all my bills were covered and then some, make the quality of my life any better. Would that pot of gold make my mother who has a heart condition and diabetes live any longer? Would it pay for a hearing aid that would help my father hear the "right" things? Could one little pot of gold do that? Dare I wish for more?

Would I be selfish? I read today that Madonna spends over 250,000 dollars a year on clothes and that each hour of Michael Douglas and Catherine Zeta Jones' wedding cost 210,000, that's an hourly rate, and I don't imagine the festivities were over in one hour!

~sigh~

I don't think peace on earth could really be accomplished by a wish. I don't think wishing for a better President could help me in the here and now.

So as I sit here and look at the possibilities, perhaps that pot of gold is the only way to go. It can certainly help me along on some of the hardships my family faces. It would pay my bills. It would pay for my mother's medication. It would pay for a good hearing aid for my father. It would pay for all those little things that we all wish we had and can't afford. You know the selfish things, like seeing the Moody Blues 7 times, or Elvis Costello, or David Bowie, or Paul McCartney. Stuff like that.

So I guess when I weigh things out, I'd want the pot of gold. It wouldn't make everything right in my world but it would help ease much of the pain of it. And ultimately that's better than nothing.

0 comments: