Sunday, October 12, 2003

MacArthur Park

Will someone please tell me what is up with this goofy song? In my lifetime I've heard at least 3 or 4 versions of it. Some are good, some are not, but dammit that doesn't make it any better.

Who left the cake out in the rain!!!

OK...Question number one:

Why the hell would you use a cake as a methaphor for lost love?

example: "Someone left the cake out in the rain/I don't think that I can make it cos' it took too long to bake it and I'll never have that recipe again"

I can see how it's about a lost love...the rest of the song makes a bit more sense..kinda

But erm..explain this...

MacArthur's Park is melting in the dark
All the sweet, green icing flowing down...


First of all..green icing...Who the hell wants to eat a green cake! PAH! His love is a green cake...No wonder she left him!

Imagine the scene if you will..

"Darlin' you are as beautiful as a green iced cake."

Kick (in a painful place)

"I'm not in anyway like a cake, you ass."

Storms off stage left ....never to return.

What really intrigues me is how this song, which is often despised as much as it is loved..is covered so often.

Hell, Justin Hayward covered this gem. (well maybe not a gem) The list goes on and on; Elaine Paige, Donna Summer, hell even the songwriter Jimmy Webb recorded a version of the song now.

Question number two:

How much alcohol and or drugs had to be used to come up with that metaphor?

My guess is...we'll never know...

Question number three:

If this guy is planning on moving on with his life...why this?

I will take my life into my hands and I will use it
I will win the worship in their eyes and I will lose it
I will have the things that I desire
And my passion flow like rivers through the sky.
And after all the loves of my life
After all the loves of my life
I'll be thinking of you
And wondering why.


Yes..Yes...I know you never forget your old loves, but really. ARGH!

Question number 4:

Why the hell do I like this song?

Oh yeah...that reason is simple...



Mr. Hayward covered it.